AAHAM Certified Revenue Cycle Specialist
This exam is intended for revenue cycle staff with responsibilities in patient access, billing, account resolution, denial management, collections, cash posting, customer service, and self-pay collections. The exam focuses on knowledge required in revenue cycle functional areas including registration (front desk), billing, and credit & collections.
Although Specialist Certification is not a pre-requisite for Professional level certification, it is designed as a rung on the AAHAM certification ladder to the Professional certification for those interested in pursuing the next level in their career path.
The CRCS is a two (2) hour, online, proctored exam that requires working knowledge within focused areas of the revenue cycle, including relevant regulations and acronyms, and are comprised of three multiple-choice sections.
The CRCS exam is available to individuals involved in the management of healthcare patient accounts. Membership in AAHAM is not a requirement, although it is encouraged. One-year employment in the healthcare revenue cycle is recommended to successfully complete the exam.
||1. Patient Access
||3. Credit & Collections
Examinees must initially sit for all three (3) sections, which contain questions in a multiple choice format. Each section of the CRCS exam is graded separately and all three (3) sections must be passed with a score of 70% or greater in order to earn the CRCS certification. If only one (1) section is failed, a retake of that section is permitted. If more than one (1) section is failed, a retake of the full exam is required.
Exam retakes for unpassed sections must be retaken within twelve (12) months from the initial exam date. Section retakes can be taken on-demand and need to be scheduled at least thirty (30) days after the exam retake registration has been submitted. Test takers are responsible for arranging the location and proctor for section retakes, either with their local proctor or through our online testing platform, ProctorU. A maximum of two (2) retakes are allowed. If the section(s) isn't passed after two retake attempts, the full exam must be registered in the next available testing period. Please contact email@example.com for ProctorU requirements or with any questions.
Exam Refunds and Postponements
CRCS applications are non-refundable, and non-transferable. There are no postponements allowed.
Grading is immediate upon completion of the exam. Results will be provided online.
The exams are offered throughout the year and can be scheduled on-demand. Applications to take an exam are due in to the AAHAM office 30 days prior to the scheduled exam date.
On-demand exam scheduling details
- The CRCS exams are offered on weekdays throughout the year, and on the second Saturday of each month.
- Technical Support will be available from 8:00 am - 5:00 pm Eastern time on exam testing dates. Arrangements can be made to provide support outside of the standard support windows as well by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org.
AAHAM certification examinations require hands on working knowledge of patient account management as it relates to national governmental regulations and policies that govern revenue cycle registration, billing and collection procedures. Working experience is not sufficient; candidates will need to enhance and refresh their knowledge through independent and group study programs. Participation in study opportunities provided by your local chapter and/or the national organization is highly recommended.
Study opportunities include:
- A downloadable CRCS study outline included in the CRCS exam fee.
- A comprehensive CRCS Exam Study Manual is available for purchase. The manual is designed to assist you in studying for the CRCS certification as chapters correspond to each section of the exams, with material targeted and geared toward exam questions. It features knowledge checks (practice questions) to help gauge your progress.
- Training and coaching opportunities are offered by local AAHAM chapters. For more information see the link above to locate the contact information for the Chapter Certification Chair in your local area.
To retain the CRCS certification designation, two (2)options are available:
- Option One - Retake and pass the entire exam every three years.
- Option Two - Join as a national member prior to your certification expiration date and earn continuing education units (CEUs). Please note that your CEUs begin to accumulate starting the date you join as a National member, therefore any CEUs earned before joining AAHAM as a member aren’t eligible. Members must earn and report thirty hours prior to their certification expiration date. Fifteen of the CEUs must be obtained from attendance at AAHAM related educational programs. If membership and CEUs are not maintained, the designation will be revoked and can no longer be used.
To see detailed information on recertification reporting and requirements, please click or the recertification tab.
If you have any questions regarding the CRCS Exam, please contact Kristen Reamy at the National Office.