The month of September has been designated as “Healthy Aging Month” and regardless of your age; many of these tips are worthwhile reminders. Here are some tips offered by Healthy Aging Magazine®:
- Think positive about your age. Picture yourself at the age you thought was your best and visualize yourself at this age. Positive visualization will help you feel better about yourself.
- Be positive in conversations and actions. When you catch yourself complaining, change the conversation to something positive. Surround yourself with positives and stop watching or reading police and crime reports.
- Surround yourself with energetic, happy positive people and you’ll be happier too. The many volunteer opportunities offered by your AAHAM chapter offer so many ways to be active and engaged and these things all contribute to the positive outlook.
- Walk like a vibrant, healthy person. It may start with something as simple as wearing comfortable shoes. Choose walking whenever you can. Now there are many easy monitors to tally your steps and aiming and exceeding 10,000 steps per day is ideal.
- Remember how your mother was always reminding you to stand up straight. Regardless of your age, this tip is still valuable (so is get your hair out of your face) . Hold your stomach in, your shoulders back and chin up. If you practice this tip every day, it becomes more natural.
- Research shows that people who smile more often are happier. Good oral health is a gateway to overall well-being. Going to the dentist regularly is important. Smiling at people gets a smile in return, smiles are contagious.
- Lonely? Take advantage of the many opportunities afforded through your AAHAM chapter’s membership. From volunteering, attending a meeting, getting together with a member for lunch, brunch, dinner or coffee to taking a computer class or a tutorial session to keep up with technology; it may take initiative to raise your hand and reach out to someone, but don’t wait for others to approach you.
- September is a good time to set up annual physical and other health screenings.
- Find your inner artist. You may have an artist lurking inside waiting to be tapped. Creativity energizes the brain.
These are just a few tips for healthy aging. Do you have some tips that you would like to share?